Unlike most awards I have received throughout the years, this is a good one, so if I nominate you it’s a good thing. On second thought, maybe being associated with me isn’t a good thing, yeah, I think a man can get shot for being around me, so beware what lurks behind that corner!
I know that I’m way late to the party on this one, but when I was nominated for The Kreativ Blogger Award I wasn’t in a great place in my life, I was dealing with a lot of shit and while I appreciated the gesture I didn’t have the time or inclination to follow-up on said gesture. Well, some time has passed and while I’m still not in a great place, things are better and it’s time for me to actually do my part so that this award means what it should.
First and foremost, I’d like to thank Aiden R. over at Cut The Crap Movie Reviews , Fitz at Nevermind Popular Film and Dan at Top10Films.co.uk for nominating me. To say I am flattered would be an understatement, and a bit cliche, but it’s the truth. Writing is one of my two sanctuaries, I’ll get to the other one in a moment, yet I never expect anyone to actually pay attention to my writing. The fact that you guys not only paid attention to my drivel but liked it enough to nominate me for this award leaves me at a loss for words.
As part of the award I need to do seven things,
1. Thank the person who nominated you for this award.
2. Copy the logo and place it on your blog.
3. Link to the person who nominated you for this award.
4. Name 7 things about yourself that people might find interesting.
5. Nominate 7 Kreativ Bloggers.
6. Post links to the 7 blogs you nominate.
7. Leave a comment on each of the blogs letting them know they have been nominated.
One, two and three have already been taken care of, while seven will be taken care of in other places, so let’s move on to the rest of the list.
1) My other sanctuary I spoke of earlier would be the mat, whether it’s wrestling, boxing, jiu-jitsu, muay Thai or MMA, whenever I am on the mat I feel at home. No one can touch me when I’m on that mat, or in the ring or cage as the case may be, and all my problems from the outside world fade away, that’s why it’s my sanctuary.
2) I have one tattoo, will be getting more though, and it is the Chicago Cubs logo on my right shoulder.
3) I have, and this is something I am very proud of, possibly the manliest beard you will ever see. Not many people get why I have it, especially women, but I’m a very ordinary guy in so many ways, and the beard is my way of making sure I’m always my own man and an individual. This thing is epic, we’re talking crazy Iranian levels!
4) I am currently back in school working towards two things, a degree in EMS, emergency medical services, and a degree in criminal justice. I will be both a paramedic and a police officer in the near future.
5) As my second factoid should have let on, I am a massive Chicago Cubs fan. I often joke that I don’t ever need to get married because I already have a wife and her name is the Chicago Cubs. Win or lose I have always and will always love that team, and my fandom is fanatical to the point where I refuse to date any woman who is a St. Louis Cardinals fan.
6) I had a period in my life where I stopped caring about anything and ballooned all the way up to three hundred and fifteen pounds, and I’m only six feet tall. Luckily I eventually righted the ship and am all the way down to a leaner two hundred and twenty pounds and will be as low as one hundred and eighty in the next few months.
7) Uh, I can drink and drink and drink and never get drunk, but that’s not too interesting and I guess that means I’ve run out of things to share.
1) Between The Seats – Edgar’s site has always been a favorite of mine, his tastes in movies runs similar to mine more often than not, but he looks at movies from a different perspective than I usually do.
2) Cinema Sights James is his own man, and I love that about him. His writing is very much on the technical side, and I love that as well. He has a unique way of looking at movies, a way that I enjoy experiencing all the time.
3) In The Mood For Film Roujin is a cool dude, one look at his blog would be all the proof you need of that. He writes in a stream of consciousness style and I dare say that he pulls it off better than anyone else I’ve ever read. His reviews are always interesting, often hilarious, and never on the beaten path.
4) 4films John’s style is direct and to the point, he’s not one to mince words and his more often than not capsule style of reviewing suits him perfectly. Sometimes I feel that I use too many words to say so little, but John is the opposite, he uses few words to say so much.
5) Not Just Movies Jake can write, oh boy can Jake write! Whenever I get full of myself and think, “Man, that was an in-depth review,” I need only go to Jake’s site and I quickly realize the folly in my thinking. He doesn’t just write reviews with a lot of content, it’s meaningful content, and that’s what makes his site so great.
6) The Canadian Cinephile’s Reviews Sure Jordan is Canadian, but I try not to hold that against him, because despite belonging to that place he does write really great reviews. All Canadian kidding aside, the truth is that Jordan puts a lot of thought into every word he types and you can see it on the page, definitely one of my favorite sites to visit.
7) The Reelists A team run site with many different contributors, I myself have often thought of contributing but can never find the time. Whether it’s an article from Corey, Michael, Caitlin, James or anyone else I can always count on reading something interesting, I don’t often agree, but it’s always interesting. In a world where I find most “team” blog sites to not be worth the effort of reading, this site remains one of the very few that I consider excellent.
If you weren’t listed it doesn’t mean I don’t like you, there are so many more film blogs that I love and wanted to lavish praise upon, but The Kreativ Blogger Award process limits me to only seven nominations.
And that’s that, a lot of writing but all for a good cause. Once again I can’t express how flattered I am to be nominated and how much I enjoyed nominating all of the blogs above. All I can leave you with is that I love movies and I love writing about them and as long as my eyes, ears and fingers are still working I’ll be here writing about them, hopefully some of you will stick around and read what I have to say !
Those career aspirations look quite enviable.
They have changed somewhat in the past few years, I dropped the police officer idea, but I am now a full time EMT who will be a paramedic soon.